After a restful 12 hour sleep, I did some work on my computer, organizing files, updating my artists resume, etc. Then I realized I'd neglected to buy coffee for my studio, and that the nearest coffee shop was either 1.5 or 5 miles down the road, depending on which Google Maps directions I chose to believe (they may not be as accurate in places like rural, mountainous Georgia). I decided to err on the side of optimism and started to trek to Dillard, but fortunately one of my fellow residents who has a car found me about .5 miles into my journey and assured me that the distance was in fact 4 miles, and that she'd be happy to drop me off there. Thank you, Sara! With my Java Mama iced coffee in hand (best ever, by the way- coffee ice cubes- how smart!), I perused the local antiques and collectibles shops, bought instant coffee at the Piggly Wiggly (seriously!), and reminisced about a long ago road trip in which I first discovered the wonders of the South.
Scenes from Dillard:



I walked most of the 4 miles back to Hambidge but our lovely Residency Coordinator Bob found me and instructed me to get into his car so he could take me back to my studio. I probably looked as tired, sunburnt and thirsty as I felt. But I was really really happy on this ridiculously long trek. To be on foot in this beautiful country, the mountains all around, counting all the wildflower species (Black-eyed Susans, tiger lilies, phlox, daisies, queen anne's lace), watching butterflies flop around in the wind, it was pretty amazing.
Scenes from Betty's Creek Road:


Tonight's dinner was Mexican- vegetarian taquitoes, guacamole, fresh salsa, refried black beans, and potatoes with cactus. Homemade lemon meringue pie for dessert. So good!
Now I'm on the sofa with an enormous brown spider... think it's time to call it a night.