Monday, July 20, 2009

Germany Preparations

I posted last month about receiving a wonderful traveling fellowship from Penn to create a photography project in Germany this summer. I'm knee-deep in planning that trip now and am just so excited. My primary site is the Landschaftpark in Duisburg, 15 minutes from my homebase of Dusseldorf, but I'm also uncovering many post-industrial landscape sites in the Ruhr valley. I'm finding green architecture and garden sites in Dusseldorf as well, and all the research I'm doing is leading me to more and more locations.

I just realized that the hotel I've chosen is only three blocks from the famous Kunstakademie, which I want to tour. Many of my favorite photographers, discovered in my formative undergrad years, have taught or studied there. A friend mentioned the revolution happening right now in the photo department at the Akademie, and though I'm way late to learn about it, apparently the students are not allowed large format cameras anymore and may only use toy cameras? If Conscientious reports it, it's gotta be true.

I'd be happy to meet any locals or expats or art students in the area. If you know of any, please email!