Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gallery 339- Sarah Stolfa, Yale


Last night I went to the book launch and reception for photographer Sarah Stolfa's The Regulars. The project is about customers at the dive bar Sarah used to work at in Philadelphia, and her portraits are lovely in both their consistency and their differences in detail, posture, affectations. I've really grown to like the work very much and am happy that Sarah is having so much success with her work.

The ongoing show currently up at 339 is the 2009 Yale MFA Graduate Thesis show. I liked a lot of the work here, and it was primarily portraiture and tableaux much in the style of Crewdson but a little more obscure and gentle in its touch. A strong undercurrent of isolation, separation, or unease runs through the work. I thought it was a strong show and paired well with Sarah's work upstairs.